Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Masks We Wear

So I just rewatched and repurchased the movie Purple Rain and also bought copies for friends who have never seen the movie but really should own it. In making a joke about Prince's obsession with masks, it got me thinking about the significance behind it. My interpretation is that Prince was so into masking himself because under his amazing music and stage presence, his life was a complete mess. His home, professional, and personal life was pretty terrible for quite some time yet when he was on stage he shut that all away and became a different person.

Most of us wear masks each day of our lives. We hide what we don't want others to see. In the trite question "how are you," we always answer "good." But we are rarely good. We're either "ok" or "excellent" or "fucking terrible." We're never just "good." We put on a mask so that we can function in society and fit into whatever we think is acceptable. Showing or saying how we really feel is a major problem in our lives. There are a limited few who are allowed to see us how we truly are.

For myself and my growing period, I am going to make a conscious effort to stop this "good" act. Stop wearing masks and start letting people see me for who I am. The good, the bad, and the ugly. We all need to stop being hyper aware of what people think of us and start being real. It may not be without consequence but it may also be the most fulfilling experiment yet. If you can lie to everyone around you, how can you be true to yourself?

It's scary but the results may be very much worth it. It's just a theory I have. I'll let you know how it goes.



That's all she wrote...

No comments:

Post a Comment